According to statistics, we spend about one third of our lives sleeping. This means that investing in the right bed, particularly the right mattress, is very important. But we happen to think a well-designed bedroom full of fabulous furniture is also important. Your bedroom should be a peaceful oasis you look forward to retreating to at the end of the evening and an extension of your personal style. Shopping for bedroom furniture can be overwhelming, but once you know what you need, you can find pieces that will keep you happy for years to come.
Before you start browsing for new bedroom furniture, measure your space. Figure out how big your current bedroom set is or how much room you’ll have. This will save you a lot of frustration. Bring the measurements with you while you shop.
Next, take your bedroom’s theme into consideration. If you want a more modern look, you’ll want to stick to sleek, contemporary furniture to avoid a confusing contrast. Otherwise, you can fill the room with vintage finds or reclaimed wood pieces. Then think about your bedroom’s function. If it’s just a place to rest your head at night, you can stick to a set of dressers and a bedside table. However, most master bedrooms are also a place to get dressed and get ready for the day ahead. If that’s the case, add pieces that are functional as well as attractive, such as our beautiful Duncan Phyfe Vanity and Mirror.
The size of your bedroom also matters. If you have the space, buy a larger dresser like this Eight Drawer Dresser that’s big enough to stash your clothing with a flat surface that can be decorated. If you need to make the most of every inch, This Grange Five Drawer Nightstand provides plenty of storage. You never want your bedroom to look cluttered, so make sure to pick out pieces that will store your items comfortably.
Remember, we see it all here at Consign Design: antique pieces, shabby-chic finds and bedroom sets that are basically brand new. Since the price of everything in our store is always up for discussion, you may end up designing the bedroom of your dreams at a fraction of the normal cost.
Posted In:used furniture buying tips
Whether you have a small or a large living room, knowing how to arrange your furniture properly will allow you to best utilize your space. Even small rooms can look larger if the furniture is properly placed, while bigger living rooms will accommodate even more pieces with the right guidelines. Take these five tips into consideration when arranging your living room furniture.
1. Arrange pieces to encourage face-to-face conversations. Arranging the seating pieces to face each other makes conversation easy. Place your coffee table in between the facing furniture so you can set drinks and books on it.
2. The natural parameters of your living room make a great guide for arranging furniture. If the room doesn’t have a fireplace, arrange seating so that it takes advantage of a view (of the window or a TV). If you have a large area used for living and dining space, divide it into separate zones. Make your couch face away from the dining room table and place an area rug underneath the dining room table to form a clear separation.
3. Give your couch a little space. Placing a couch a few inches away from a wall will create a little breathing room, making the space seem larger. Give chairs or end tables a little space as well. Chairs that face each other should be no more than eight feet apart, however, so conversations can flow easily.
4. Create order with symmetry. Place matching end tables on the sides of the couch, topped off with matching lamps. Matching occasional chairs should be lined up symmetrically as well. Symmetry creates a sense of order and organization.
5. Consider traffic flow. Allow about 30 inches between pieces in places where you’ll need to walk around and about 16 inches between a coffee table and a sofa. You don’t want to create any tight squeezes, and you’ll want to be able to reach your drink or the remote control from the couch.
Posted In:furniture arrangement